Friday, June 6, 2008

Science Rules!

Its Saturday afternoon, Daddy is in Louisiana, and I have heard "Mooooooom I'm soooooo bored!" about a zillion times. But, before they start in on their favorite last resort pastime of taking turns seeing who can make me scream first, I slip quietly into the bathroom and dawn my Crafty Mom cape and apron: they are pink and I made them with a shower curtain, the hot glue gun and enough sequence and glitter glue to make me visible from space. (okay not really but I have actually made whole Halloween outfits with some fabric and the hot glue gun, more on my love affair with my glue gun later, we are talking Science here!)

Alex had been reading her Kitchen Science book, it has some pretty neat experiments in it. She picks one that she likes, hmmm baking soda and vinegar?, that will last about what 5 minutes, with a clean up time of what 20? Not good enough. I always try to judge my kids crafts in the ratio of time spent doing vs. time spent cleaning up after it. If the spent doing is less than the spent cleaning up, its just not worth it here.


With the Baking Soda/ Vinegar experiment in mind, I decided we would also make a volcano. (click link to see the experiment)


3 Days of Crafty Science Fun! Wouldn't Bill Nye be proud? Say it with me! "Science Rules!"
Saturday: Alex and I made the base, and paper mached the outside.
Sunday: after drying overnight, all 4 kids helped to paint and decorate it.
Monday: After school with their friends over, we let 'er rip. It was pretty darn cool.


Here are some pictures.



Getting ready for the main event:



Its ALIVE!!!


(I really don't have a Crafty Mom Cape and Apron, but isnt that a good idea? Maybe next craft time we can make one!)

No comments: