Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Big Girl Furniture!

Sometimes furniture can mark milestones in your life. Moving from a crib to a big girl bed marks your transition from baby to toddler, from a booster seat to a regular chair: toddler to big kid. In your first apartment the hand-me downs from your parents and grandparents say you are ready to be on your own, but the mismatched pieces -the wobbly leg coffee table and bright orange chair all say you still need to get things together and figure out who you are going to be.


Up till now we have used a table we got on clearance after our wedding, an old chair from Auntie Carol, 4 chairs that Jim tried to match with the table (only slightly unsuccessfully, because the arms didn't fit under the skirt of the table) and last but not least a folding chair from my Mom . Yes, you counted 6, once Katie Grace graduated out of her highchair, we realized it might be time for a new dining room set, -we had to pull a stool over from the counter so that we could all eat at the same time. Yes, it was time to talk grownup furniture! And now, I can finally announce that Jim and I are real life grown-ups with real life grown-up furniture! I know it might sound silly, and I know that its all a state of mind, but now the outside matches the insides.
And to answer your questions.
Yes, the cushions are white. No, I am not high.

Yes, we plan to eat dinner here every night. Yes, I am buying stock in upholstery cleaner and stain out. :)








Look! Wedding China & Crystal! Its either been packed or sitting in a kitchen cabinet for almost 12 years!!!





On a sentimental note: The story from My Mom goes: When My Oma got her first fancy China Cabinet, she begged and begged My Opa to get her some pretties to go inside of it. She ended up getting these Aynsley tea cups. It is fitting that they went to my Mom and now me to display in my first China Cabinet. And someday they will go to Alex when she gets hers...

No comments: